Activities

Events that occur on a daily basis. Interactions that would be considered the norm and how they are able to shape our perception of the world and people. People come not only in all shapes and sizes but they are all unique in their own way. The impression we may have of a person also may determines how we may view race, religion and even ourselves. I will talk about something that has effected me and that has left a lasting effect on me.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Journal Entry Number 2 (Fahrenheit 451)

It seems like fighting fire with fire is the conclusion to Fahrenheit 451. Montag kills the Captain for trying to threaten Faber. The irony is the Books, the very thing the firemen burn, have infiltrated the firemen s' ranks.

The suppression of literature is highly important in many societies. My own experience, in relevance to this, was reinforced by reading books. My parents were always afraid of their children being exposed to books that were sexually explicit in content. I remember reading a book in the fourth grade called "Sign of the Beaver." The cover depicted an American Indian with long hair and a young pioneer. My parents assumed that the Indian was a a girl and took that book away from me. My parents were from another country that immigrated to America, they never once considered reading the book themselves and finding the evil that they believed lurked within.


That only gave ammunition to my thirst of reading. I bought books with my pocket money and went without snacks. I would read books with a night light so no one would hinder me. I was determined to feed my thirst and didn't understand what my parents were trying to save me from.

This led to the alienation between me and my parents. To this very day, I dont have a good relationship with my mother, who is my sole surviving parent. Montag is alienated from the firemen and I am from my family.

In the end Montag joins a group of rebels and considers himself a book. Books made me question and at the same time isolate me. Isolate me from not just one culture but two, the West and the traditional South Asian.

No comments:

Post a Comment