Activities

Events that occur on a daily basis. Interactions that would be considered the norm and how they are able to shape our perception of the world and people. People come not only in all shapes and sizes but they are all unique in their own way. The impression we may have of a person also may determines how we may view race, religion and even ourselves. I will talk about something that has effected me and that has left a lasting effect on me.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Journal Entry Number 12: Chicken with Plums

   This journal entry deals with the visit on May 3rd 2012 at the MOMO, which I found very delightful. It was to watch a movie called "Chicken with Plums" which was directed by Marjane. The author of Persepolis, was physically present and I was hoping that I would get her autograph. As I walked into the MOMO, I noticed the long line and found out that the technical difficulties was behind the long line. While I was standing in line a guy cleared his throat and excused himself. I turned around and there was Marjane Satrapi. At first I scrutinized her and then recognition filtered my senses. I watched her as if from a distance and didn't even consider vocalizing my request for an autograph.
   When we got to the auditorium Francois, the wife of the author of Mouse, and Marjane had a discussion. She was very lively, with a wicked sense of humor and the easy camaraderie was seen with Francois. The discussion ended and Marjane got off the stage without asking if anyone wanted an autograph. Disappointed, I had hoped that there would be an opportunity to sign books. She only signed one book for an individual in the front row and briskly walked out of the auditorium. I considered her self proclaimed title of being a solitaire and wrote off that as the reason for her quick exit.
      They were many story lines within the movie. It was confusing at first, how to connect all the various dots. Eventually it became apparent what the link was but not until the very end of the movie. I found my attention wandering. It was strange how Marjane knew the story and the various story lines. I guess the medium change was Marjane attempt at trying to evolve as an artist. I couldn't put my finger on it but the movie lacked a certain element. Overall it was a different experience but still disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment