Activities

Events that occur on a daily basis. Interactions that would be considered the norm and how they are able to shape our perception of the world and people. People come not only in all shapes and sizes but they are all unique in their own way. The impression we may have of a person also may determines how we may view race, religion and even ourselves. I will talk about something that has effected me and that has left a lasting effect on me.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shades

As a child I was pleased,
with everything that I would see.
I easily dismissed things that bothered me.
My mind did not grasp society's ways,
But dealt with it through a child's forget fullness.

When I grew up ,
I realized RACE is a word to be reckoned with.
RELIGION came next,
Beliefs came close,

Children have a view of the world,
that lacks discrimination.
They understand and accept the word different easily.

What happened to be unique?
What happened to the broad minded people that lived in this world?
That taught differences were good and led to innovation.

I tell people my heritage ,
they give me a look,
of horror,
of fear,

Yet I still go on PROUD,
With a smile on my face,
Never lying just being the truth, the truth of who I am.
Fierce,

I have a culture to be proud of.
I can trace my ancestors through the span of time.
Yet the U.S. wants everybody to uniform to society.
To criticize who we are and hide our true selves.
To be ashamed of what our ancestors stand for and their accomplishments.

Lastly,
I want to leave you with food for thought,
Media may show the deviance in race,
Yet don't forget they are still the tiny fish in the sea.
Don't judge them by the criminals protrayed.
Every society has the bad guys,
Just don't disregard the silent voices of the good people in this world.
For they still exist in every society,
No matter the race,
The religion,
The beliefs that they might share.1

No comments:

Post a Comment